Sunday, November 2, 2008

My Aboriginal Fam

So they set us up with a host fam out here, not like a host fam that you live with but who you hang out with, do some cultural exchange with, and drink beers at kareoke bars with. My host fam happens to be aboriginal, which means they're descnded from one of the 14 tribes native to Taiwan before the Chinese first came about 400 years ago (and before the Chinese came again like 60 years ago). The tribe my family is from is the Atayal, known for their facial tatoos. I'll think about getting one.


Anyway, my fam is mad cool. They took me to this aboriginal cultural dance show, which was dope. It reminded me a lot of Bhangra, actually. Also reminscent of Punjabi culture is the aboriginal peolpe's proclivity for alcohol consumption. I'm down with that. Here are some pics, some from the aboriginal dance show and the others from kareoke, where we drank a lifetime's worth of "Taiwan Beer" (motto: "in lieu of Stella Artois, drink this"), sang some classic 1950's songs, and hung out with the kids.













No comments: