Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Culture Clash

One of the things I've noticed most since being abroad is how much American culture is exported. When I was in Thailand, I took a 10-hour bus ride to Bangkok where they played "Die Hard 3" dubbed in Thai. You haven't lived until you've heard the Thai voice they use for Samuel L. Jackson. Another funny thing is that one of my co-teachers occasionally thanks me for things that he likes about America. For example:

Him: Hey Brett.
Me: Hey.
Him: "Remember the Titans." Thank you.
Me: You're welcome.

It's good and bad. I went to the movie theater last week and the only movies playing were American; "Marley and Me" and some movie about a Playboy bunny. I was slightly ashamed.

The pervasiveness of American culture is apparent even where you might least expect it. I went to the Taiwan Lantern Festival, a showcase of traditional Taiwanese lanterns from all over Taiwan celebrating Chinese New Year (it's the year of the bull). While I'm perusing, I suddenly hear Busta Rhymes' "A-rab Money" blaring through the speakers and I turn around and see some Taiwanese breakdancers on the main stage. That act was followed by two Taiwanese rappers (a guy and a girl) rapping in Chinese to Eminem's "The Real Slim Shady."

I can't say I don't contribute to this trend. This week my students are learning comparatives (harder, better, faster, smarter) so I played Kanye West's "Stronger." They loved it. I even had a dance-off with one of my students. I think you know who won.

Aight, here are some pics of the lanterns from the Lantern Festival (it looks a lot cooler at night). Also some pics of my co-teachers with some Ladyboys from their trip to Thailand.







5 comments:

Unknown said...

uh, say what?...what do you mean by ladyboys?

beautiful lanterns. it's like the mardi gras floats :)

ID said...

ur tellin me those hot girls are actually....um....dudes? You livin in a scary place man. Be careful out there.

Tox said...

yo Prynce im tellin u...

thats exactly what I mean by ladyboys, Trice

Unknown said...

eek they're so hot! mind sirish's advice closely :)

Katie said...

Dude the movie is The House Bunny and it's SO good and underrated and you should go see it and not hate. Kthanksbye.