Sunday, May 31, 2009

my bday

"go, go shawty"

It's a celebration. As many of you kind people know, May 19th is the day when I was fortunate enough to be born into this lifetime. Lemme tell you about my first birthday in Taiwan, one of the best of my life so far.

Mornin': Mary, my caring and generous roommate, bought me breakfast. I got the mixed-fruit and vegetable juice that I always get, except this time I didn't have to pay for it. done

schoolday, part 1: my co-teacher Linda brought me in a piece of cake at my desk. And then some of my students said happy birthday to me when they found out. I hadn't really mentioned it at Yuan Shan Junior High.

schoolday, part 2: This is where the magic happens. I walk in, and first thing, the security guard, who's only been there a week, wishes me happy birthday in Chinese. I'm impressed. But at the same time I'm like, "how does he know?" Then, my co-teacher James tells me, "Brett, today we have to have class in the audio-video room." I'm like, "why?" And he says we have to review some teaching video, so I'm like "ok, wtvr." I walk into the audio-video room...and...it is completely dark...suddenly...SURPRISE!" Poppers go off, a disco ball flashes on, and out come my 7th grade classes with some huge birthday posters (like the kind we used to make for each other in 6th grade) and a gigantic Taiwanese bday cake. I'm floored. I had never had a surprise party thrown for me before.

The students bday cards are super sweet, with cards written entirely in English so I know effort was put forth. here is a sample:

"Dear Brett Teacher:
When you're gone, we'll all miss you. Because Brett teacher is a good English teacher. All of your smile, you teach will always keep in our mind! Thanks for teacher's teach. Beacuse of you, I become to love study English!
Teacher, don't forget us!
And we'll never forget you, too!
Teacher, I like your smile! Remember to keep your smile on your face everyday and show to everyone. Because teacher's smile is beautiful.
-By student Nacy"

and another one:

"For Teacher Brett:
It's your birthday today. You are the best English teacher who can make us learn English happily. And I learn a lot from you. Although you are going back to the USA, we will miss you. Happy birthday to you.
Vicky, class 702"

Amazing, no?

Then in the evening, my host dad/brother James took me and Mary out for karaoke, and I rocked it, even trying out a Chinese song or two. It got real wild and real fun, I had a blast.

Earlier in the week I went out with some of the Yuan Shan teachers for a lil good ol fashioned karaoke, so all in all it was a fantastic beginning to my 24th year. pictures to follow.

3 comments:

Balldrew said...

That first letter was really cute...

You say you sang some chinese songs, but I assume that means you sang some American ones too...a) which American songs did you sing and b) which got the better response--the American or the Chinese songs?

Tox said...

the always got "house of the rising sun" but the one I really killed was "dreammmm...dream dream dream"
the English ones got better responses bcuz I was actually singing them, instead of shouting gibberish interspersed with the few Chinese words I knew

Kerry said...

you did really good job singing the song '再見', which was very impressive! hope that i can hear that again!