Thursday, January 8, 2009

Haikus

Taiwan is my home.
What a strange experience
to eat with chopsticks

Rap in the classroom.
Rice and noodles with tofu.
I am Teacher Brett.

Old women ride bikes
Stray dogs roam the streets freely
It is rush hour

"You are so handsome."
The funny American
is laughing again

"Do you speak Chinese?'
"Yes, a little," I reply.
Confusion follows

My motorcycle
Although it is fun to ride...
no Taiwanese girls

I enjoy the beach.
I contemplate the ocean
and the beer is good.

To belch at dinner
is not rude or impolite.
What a great culture!

Speed limits: not real.
Traffic lights: a suggestion.
I did not know this.

My students are great
The food and the people, too
I am happy here

7 comments:

Erica said...

you have an extra syllable in one of your poems. that aside, i just laughed out loud at work.

Miin and Niel, Made of Love said...

love it!

Anonymous said...

He rides his scooter
Eats out and speaks Chinese
I am so jealous

Anonymous said...

Please note that haiku above is short one syllable BUT offets B's extra one and therefore restores the cosmic balance...

Tox said...

haha, i changed it so now the cosmic balance must adjust. im sure someone out there is writing a haiku right now and wondering why he can't think of a word with an extra syllable

Unknown said...

haha you guys are so crazy. erica i can't believe you counted every one lol. and brett you should've left your extra syllable one. now who knows what will happen to the earth with this great cosmic upset you two have created

Anonymous said...

Rapping Mandarin
Cool American Taiwan
following the Tao