Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Taipei Trip

Last weekend Mary and I hit up the "Museum of World Religions" in Taipei (btw, I can say "Museum of World Religions" in Chinese). It was founded by a Bhuddist order to highlight the commonalities between all religions, which I think is a pretty cool objective; a lot of religious ppl want to highlight why theirs is different. It has permanent exhibitions on Sikhism, Judaism, Hinduism, Christianity, et al. It was designed by the same people who designed the Holocaust Museum in D.C.

One of my favorite parts of the museum was an exhibit called "Awakenings." It has videos of various famous people, religious people, and regular people talking about moments of deep awareness and profound spiritual insight. A good one was Jane Goodall, who talked about watching apes dance around a waterfall. She spoke of how it reflected a natural imperative to explain one's environment, like how the waterfall was "always coming and always going, yet always there." There was another room that had videos of meditation in various religions (Jewish meditation, Hindu meditation, etc.). All in all a great museum, plus they have an all-you-can-eat vegetarian buffet that makes u wanna be reincarnated just so you can eat there again.

We also went to Taipei's premier hip hop club, Luxy. I hadn't heard hip hop in soooo long that it was almost euphoric. I was can't stop, won't stop. I had my spot on the dancefloor and didn't move from it all night. I was just gettin it. At one point this dude came over to me and was like, "these two Taiwanese girls wanna meet you," and I was basically like, "that's very flattering, but right now I'm busy lip-synching to 99 Problems. Maybe some other time."

Then I came home and did my taxes. I recommend creating a tax-preperation playlist, it makes it go much easier (sample songs: "Taxman," by The Beatles, "I Get Money," by 50 Cent).

It's good to get outta Yilan, sometimes

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hhaha good post. sounds like an awesome museum, and i'm always lookin for good food :) and those girls at the club were probably like say what?! lol

also is et al a personal choice or is there a difference that made you choose it over etc?

Tox said...

to me, etc means "and so on" and so the list could go on infinetly, but "et al" means "and others," suggesting a finite set. here i chose the latter, bc there is an exact number of exhibits on the diff religions

as to the girls, "i got 99 problems but a aint one"